Thursday, March 19, 2009

Caught Red Handed

The box of henna can be used to for dying hair, but more often ladies use it to dye their figure and toe nails a bright red colour. It is considered cleaner than using nail polish. Although the Uyghur people like to dye more than just their mails, they often cover all the sounding skin. The red on the skin lasts about a week, but the dyed nails stay a bright blood red colour for almost three months, until they grow out.


I remember once when I dyed my nails the night before flying to the capital. They were bright red and, if you weren’t use to the cosmetic appearance of it, it looked like I had some sort of contagious disease. I went to Starbuks (a joy of visiting a major city), the lady behind the register looked at my hands like I should be quarantined. She tentatively reached for my money and dropped it in the till as if touching it might cause her death.

No comments: