Friday, September 07, 2012

Here He Comes Pushing a Baby Carriage



Strollers are a rare sight out here.  Most women carry their babies around in their arms.  There are just so many stairs and curbs that pushing a buggy around is difficult.  But come late summer/early fall baby carriages can be seen on every street corner, most of them being guided by men.   The first few times I saw a man pushing a carriage I tried to hasten my step so I could get in front of him and look at the cute little kid.  But none of these men are pushing children around in the stroller; they are all taking their flattened figs out for a walk. I especially love the baby buggies that still have the stripped awnings or the fancy plastic toys and bells for the figs to play with when they get bored.  These guys walk up and down the streets, from the back they look like proud parents, from the front they are entrepreneurial business men.  

1 comment:

Beth said...

Yesterday I saw a girl pulling a bike trailer of the kind you put kids in. Since I have recently acquired a bike and trailer of my own, and I love to cart my kids around town in it, I was curious about who might be riding inside. It turned out to be several stacks of newspapers. Oh, well...