Thursday, June 04, 2009

A "Snow" Cone

The day we have all been waiting for with baited breath and great anticipation has finally arrived. The Ice Mountain Creamery has finally opened it doors. This is a fully foreign run and operated ice cream shop here in town. It is sooooo good.

Ice cream has never really been anything to write home about, until now that is. Here in town we really only had two options; bad local ice cream that is a lot more ice and a lot less cream, and Uzbek ice cream which is wonderfully creamy and rich and sweet, but the only problem is it only comes in one flavour. Now I grew up use to the idea of a ice cream shop offering 31 flavours... and I have to admit that after five years, this one sort of caramel, sort of vanilla, sort of like those flavours you just can't seem to put your finger on what it really is, has gotten a little monotonous.

We did have one other option, a small container of Hogindos, which cost a small fortune ( since the price was high, they weren't selling, and you just knew they were sitting in the stores collecting freezer burn) and no one ever bought.

Until today. When I went by the Ice Mountain Creamery they had five flavours for sale (strawberry, banana, Walnut crunch, Cream, and Winter Snow). I bought a waffle cone of Winter Snow. The name itself is ingenious. It is a traditional cookies and cream, with oreo's crumbled up in the ice cream. But the combination of the dark on the white, made the owners think of the coal dust that covers the snow in the winter here. It is a joke that any ex-pat would think was hilarious. I normally can't find much to laugh about in the dark, bleak winter, but give me a nice summer day and a scoop of ice cream and the whole thing seems like a big joke.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH! I can't believe it finally happened! I'm so sad I can't be there to enjoy this day. I'll just have to go buy myself some ice cream at the candy store to celebrate. I'm happy my cat can have her ice cream and it's great that the company FINALLY worked out! AMMAAAAAZZZIIINNNGGG! I miss you, Karen cat!

Beth said...

That sounds YUMMY! Ice cream is my favourite dessert. I'm actually going to Baskin Robbins tonight, and while I'm there I will make some effort to be thankful for all the flavours I'll have to choose from :)

Anonymous said...

We need to see a picture of this wonder of a cone!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Winter snow! Hilarious!!!!! Now that I have drugs, we'll have to go when I get home. 28 hours and counting...