Thursday, May 20, 2010

Painted Trees


Every year the beginning of spring is marked by the painting of the trees. The bottom meter or so of every tree in town is painted white. I have asked several friends over the years what the purpose of this is. I think I now have more answers than there are trees. Some friends have said, "it is to look pretty" or "freshen us the city". Others says it is good for the trees and "keeps bugs from eating them". One person tole me it was so drivers could see the side of the road at night.

My personal guess is that it is similar to boondoggling of the 20's and 30's. Nothing more than a make work project. Spring means there is no more snow for the street keeping civil servants to shovel, so instead the government hands them paint brushes and tells them to go to work.

No comments: